Monday, April 21, 2008

Giselle Gets Goofy (or "Goofy Gets Enchanted")

Over at the Disney Dreams Forum, there's a discussion about character pairings that are unlikely, otherwise known as non-canon couples. That's got me thinking about two characters I'd like to see as a couple even if it is non-canon. The reason I'm discussing it here, other than just posting my opinion, is because I'm not a member of the Disney Dreams Forum.

The non-canon couple I'd like to see is... Drum roll, please. ...Giselle and Goofy!(Promotional photo taken from the Laughing Place.)





"Gawrsh! She shore is purdy!"







Well, Goofy, looks alone is not the reason I think you two should be together.


Perhaps, I should explain why I choose Giselle for Goofy. When "Enchanted" was in theaters, I got hooked on Giselle for her innocence and charm, not to mention her bubbly personality. These were the same qualities that Goofy has, thus, making them the perfect couple. (I didn't even watch the movie until I got the DVD. LOL)

Now, I know what you're thinking: "Doesn't Goofy already have a girlfriend? What about Clarabelle Cow?" While I'm well aware that Disney has paired Goofy with Clarabelle in recent years, most notably in "Mickey, Donald, and Goofy: The Three Musketeers", Clarabelle was Horace Horsecollar's girl first, long before Goofy came along. And I don't want to put poor Goofy in a love triangle situation, so, Clarabelle can stay with Horace. Oh, and don't think I've forgotten about Sylvia Marpole, Goofy's love interest from "An Extremely Goofy Movie". Well, I haven't seen her outside of that movie, so, I'm guessing it didn't work out between her and Goofy. Long story short, Goofy needs a steady girlfriend and I've found the perfect one in Giselle.

Now, in order to make this work, the plot of "Enchanted" must be slightly changed for Goofy and Giselle to end up with each other. (The majority of this blog from this point on contains slight spoilers for the original movie, so, if you haven't seen the movie and don't want the ending spoiled, I suggest going over to Cartoon Brew and reading what Jerry Beck is up to.) For starters, Goofy takes the place of Robert, who is grounded to reality. However, Goofy is not like that by nature, so, those characteristics go to... Who else? ...his son, Max. You see, Max is naturally the most mature of the Disney characters, so, I figure when he's in the real world, he would follow its rules without question. Getting Max to believe in fairy tales, like he did when he was a child, might be one challenge not even Goofy would overcome. Once Giselle comes along however, she could convince him that it's okay to let loose and believe in "Happily ever after". (Just so you know, I'm adding Roxanne to the plot so that Max, too, can have a "Happily ever after" by movie's end.)

Now, I know that Robert has a fiancé, Nancy, but she doesn't seem right for Goofy. So, Nancy's role is minor by making her the organizer of the ball at the movie's climax. This keeps Goofy single until he meets Giselle and Prince Edward could still end up with Nancy.

One of these days, I'll get to writing my version of "Enchanted" and adding it to my
Fanfiction.net site. But at least, now, you know why I think Goofy and Giselle are perfect for each other. Do you feel the same way?

No comments: